1. To fully understand, monitor and control our environmental impacts and carbon footprint.
2. To create an Environmental Action Plan which tracks and measures these performances
3. To form a committed Green Group which meets quarterly at a minimum, where our performance is reviewed, appraised and future plans are evolved
4. To respond proactively to new legislation and find new approaches to sustainable models of work
5. To working collaboratively with other relevant organisations, sharing our performance and experience with transparency
6. To save money, which will then be re-invested into our work as a not-for-profit charity
7. Share this work with our stakeholders including visitors, staff, board and supporters.
1. Participate in, and achieve the following levels in external accreditation schemes or award nominations
a. Industry Green accreditation
b. Birmingham Sustainability Awards
2. Communicate our aims and impacts to staff and visitors using our green display in the public spaces, and digitally with a green group blog on our website.
3. Achieve a year on year reduction (target of 5% per annum) in our utilities consumption, when measured against our footfall levels. We will use Julie’s Bicycle to monitor this.
4. Share our learning and performance through active membership through the following networks
a. Sustainability WM
b. WM Green Network
5. Implement green procurements policies, encouraging suppliers and visiting artists to improve their sustainability performance particularly in relation to energy and resource use
6. Form an active group with our neighbouring venues to look at better use of shared resources. Propose the formation of a Birmingham Arts Partnership (BAP) Green Group.
During 2018/19 we held two initiatives for staff engagement:
- The Plastic Free Lunch Challenge - MAC staff were asked to avoid single-use plastic for every meal they brought into work
- Energy Week involved a quiz and top tips for staff to consider how they use energy throughout the building and the little changes they can make to avoid energy waste.