MAC's principal objectives are to encourage as many people as possible to:
- explore, examine and enjoy the arts activities of others;
- participate in and undertake their own arts activities.
MAC seeks to achieve these objectives by:
- using its ethos to promote an adventurous, expressive, and approachable programme of arts events and activities;
- developing intercultural projects which increase people’s enjoyment and understanding of their own and different cultures;
- encouraging and facilitating the development of people’s own creativity, knowledge and skills;
- providing creative projects and activities for children and young people;
- increasing the numbers and range of mac’s existing users;
- deepening the impact of mac’s work through community outreach, and regional and national touring;
- offering support, opportunities and practical help to artists to develop their work and careers;
- building on established partnerships with other arts organisations, community groups and agencies, and developing new ones;
- working in partnership with schools, cultural organisations, agencies, public bodies and the non-arts sector to develop programmes for particular target groups;
- becoming the natural hub for artists making new and contemporary work in the city, and create opportunities for artist development;
- providing access to arts projects and programmes to as many people as possible including those with fewer resources and opportunities;
- ensuring the highest possible quality of work.