TODO WIRE UP
About Introduction to Oil Painting Online (Summer)
Learn how to paint successfully with oil paints in this live, interactive online introduction to oil painting techniques course. Discover a wide array of skills and explore themes of portraiture, still life, landscapes, and master copy painting.
What will you learn on this course?
Discover a wide array of skills and explore themes of portraiture, still life, landscapes, and master copy painting. The course will cover a wide range of skills, including:
- Preparing and priming a canvas
- How to transfer your drawings on to canvas
- The technique of fat over lean
- How to lay out an organised palette
- How to work with limited colours
- Laying down tonal ground
- Under painting
- Value studies
- Colour mixing
This is a live, interactive online course taught via Zoom with professional artist and art tutor Peter Tinkler. The course will be taught through a combination of demonstrations and examples, practical tasks and work on individual projects. The tutor will provide guidance and assistance based on your individual needs and aims. On completion of this course, you can expect to have gained an understanding of how to approach oil painting.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for adults aged 18+ years. It is open to learners of all levels. Beginners who have no oil painting experience will be taught the basics and given complete guidance. Students with previous oil painting experience will be given support as and when required to develop their skills further.
This course may be accessible for people with disabilities. A support worker or carer may assist; carers must book a complimentary ticket if attending to provide support. Please contact us to discuss your specific accessibility needs.
Do you need to bring anything?
As this is an online course, you will need to provide your own materials and equipment. We recommend the following items:
- A set of oil painting brushes (student quality will be fine)
- A small container of Liquin Original (which is similar to Linseed oil)
- Artists White Spirit (please note that regular DIY white spirit can damage brushes)
- A palette (although an old dinner plate can work)
- A set of paints including Titanium White, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue (optional), Cadmium Red, Permanent Rose (optional) Cadmium Yellow, Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ochre and Lemon Yellow.
- An Oil paper pad – ideally A3 size
All materials can be purchased via any art retailers, such as CASS Art.
Who teaches this course?