This course will teach you how to create repeating patterns using Adobe Photoshop software. The course aims to help you successfully create a portfolio of designs that can then be professionally printed for example as upholstery and dress fabric, paper art works, greeting cards or even ceramics transfers.
What you will learn on this course
Guided by a professional Textile Designer you will learn how to successfully work with the latest Adobe Photoshop software to transform your drawings, painting and illustrations into digital repeating patterns. The course will introduce you to knowledge of:
- the basics of Photoshop (PS) and use of specific tools for creating a repeating pattern.
- How to clean, scan and edit your images for use in PS,
- The different types of pattern repeats, and how to achieve them in technical repeat using PS.
- How to move, rotate, flips, duplicate and recolour in PS.
- How to experiment with colour palettes, how to use the colour tool picker and how to apply colour overlays.
- How to measure and move the repeating pattern using x and y axis
- How to make a tile repeat of your design and use this to Pattern Fill
- How to finish your file so that it can be professionally printed onto fabric, ceramic transfers sublimation printing etc.
The tutor will demonstrate the Photoshop programme and the steps needed at each stage. There will be exercises to complete for theory and practice and plenty of opportunity for you to apply the concepts to your own artwork at various stages through out the course.
The end result will be your own portfolio of pattern designs ready for you to send off to printers for fabric, ceramics etc.
Who is this course for?
This course is for Adults aged 18+ and is open to all levels. You must have basic computer skills before starting this course as it will focus on using Adobe software.
Do you need to bring anything?
Reference material as required, your preferred way of making and taking notes (there will be lots to take).
All course materials, equipment and software are available for use during the sessions. As you progress you may wish to purchase your own Adobe licence so you can continue your work at home.
Are there any additional costs?
There are no additional costs for the course. The Tutor will help you locate suitable professional printers should you wish to have your designs printed, please note that professional printing of your work is not included in the course price.
Who teaches this course?
Fancy a meal or drinks when visiting us for an event or a trip to the park? Our KILN Cafe serves breakfast, lunch, light bites and a light evening menu, see information here /// Please read our current Courses - Health and Safety Information and our current Visitor Guidelines before booking your course.