- TutorPenny Dixon
Tue 17 Apr, 6.30pm – 8.30pm | 12 wk Term £117 (£106) | Beginner/Improver Level | Age 18+
An introduction to traditional and contemporary feltmaking with an opportunity to to explore many different techniques including flat forms, three dimensional work and embellishment.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for adults 18+ years. It is open to beginners and improvers. You don’t need any previous experience of felt making as full instruction and guidance is given. Those with some experience will be able to improve their skills, technique and develop new designs.
This course involves working at low tables, includes long periods of standing and good dexterity is needed in your hands. The course may be suitable for people with disabilities please contact us to discuss your specific situation and needs. A carer or support worker may assist but must book a complimentary ticket if attending a course to provide support.
What will you learn on this course?
This course is an introduction to traditional and contemporary felt making with an opportunity to experiment with a range of fibres, fabric and wool. You will be taught the skills to create tactile surfaces for stitch and dye, plus more advanced techniques including resists and Nuno felting to develop functional and decorative pieces.
On this course you will learn how to:
- Understand the properties of wool and appreciate how and why it felts
- Create 2D and 3D felt pieces using traditional wet rolling technique
- Understand shrinkage of felt and how to plan for it
- Develop manipulation skills and the possibilities within the medium
- Finish edges in different ways
- Use felting needles and working with pre felt
- Work with surface texture and embellishment
- Create Nuno felt
- Make and use resists to create seamless felt
- Understand the difference between pre felt and high standard wet felt
- Plan a simple project from design to completion
The course is delivered through a mix of group tutorial and discussion, demonstrations and practical exercises. You will receive individual support on your designs and how to realise your ideas as required.
On completing this course you can expect to have produced a number of felt samples and a finished project piece.
Do you need to bring anything?
Please wear old clothes and bring a waterproof apron.
All materials and equipment are provided.
Are there any additional costs?
There are no additional costs.
Who teaches this course?