Girls that Geek returns on 11 February 2022, MAC’s FREE exploratory day that explores women in art and technology. The day brings together industry professionals for a series of informal discussions and a careers panel.
The event is specifically designed for girls from school year 7 upwards and will be of interest to those considering career choices and who would like the opportunity to learn from inspirational speakers. We also welcome practitioners and professionals with an interest in learning.
This year we are focused on ‘future jobs for young women’ and will include female representatives from the games industry. The day will be informative, interactive and inspiring, with opportunities to explore technology through talks, a Careers Panel + Q&A and Show & Tell space with workshops.
This event is created in partnership with Lara Ratnaraja, cultural consultant and is kindly supported by players of People's Postcode Lottery.
The event is FREE and open to school bookings and professionals. To book your places please call our Box Office on 0121 446 3232.
Note that assistance with travel costs can be arranged, please contact us to discuss your needs at email@example.com
Outline for the day:
10:00 - 10:30 Arrivals and registration
10:30 - 10:45 Welcome to Mac by Chief Executive Deborah Kermode and introduction to the day by Lara Ratnaraja
10:45 - 11:30 Interactive Keynote speaker. Billie McMillan,
Senior UX Designer SEGA
11:30 - 12:15 Careers Panel- chaired by Dr Poppy Wilde, Birmingham City University Interim Course Director for MA Media and Cultural Studies and Lecturer in Media and Communication.
- Harmeet Chagger (Khan Digital Story Lab): Artist, film-maker and creative producer.
- Rosa Francesca: Digital artist whose work focuses on the themes of the body and accessibility.
12:15 - 12:30 Q&A
12:30 - 14:30 Lunch break
12:30 - 14:30
- Visit our Show and Tell space where you can get hands on with virtual reality, augmented reality and 3D architectural scans brought to you by STEAMhouse and Associated Architects
- Chat to Aston University ASTUTE team and learn all about digital technology, robotics, and 3D resin printing
- Sign up for our special workshops where you can explore virtual reality with artist and theatre producer Ania Nierobisz or design your own computer game in Bitsy with digital artist and indie games creator Claire Morwood (3-Fold Games).
14:30 - 15:15 Keynote performance and presentation by digital artist and musician Rosa Francesca. Rosa will perform a new iteration of Cinematica with a visualisation of EEG brainwave recording technology.
15:15 - 15:30 Thanks