Learn how to paint successfully with oil paints in this live, interactive online introduction to oil painting techniques course. You will learn a wide array of skills and explore themes of portraiture, still life, landscapes and Master Copy painting.
What you will learn on this course
During this course you will be introduced to the art of painting successfully with oil paints, learn about portraiture, still life, landscapes and Master artists. You will also learn the following skills.
- Preparing and priming your canvas
- How to transfer your drawings on to canvas
- The technique of fat over lean
- How to lay out an organised palette
- How to work with limited colours
- Laying down tonal ground
- Under painting
- Value studies
- Colour mixing
This is a live, interactive online course using Zoom, taught by professional artist and art tutor, Peter Tinkler. The course will be taught through a combination of demonstrations and examples, practical tasks and work on individual projects. The tutor will provide guidance and assistance based on your individual needs and aims. On completion of this course, you can expect to have a gained an understanding of how to approach oil painting.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for adults aged 18+ years. It is open to learners of all levels. Beginners who have no oil painting experience will be taught the basics. Students with previous oil painting experience can develop their skills further.
The course is accessible for people with disabilities who can undertake practical drawing activities. A support worker or a carer may assist. Carers must book a complimentary ticket if attending a course to provide support. The room is wheelchair accessible. Please contact us to discuss your specific situation and needs.
What equipment and materials do I need to take part?
As this is an online course, you will need to provide your own materials and equipment. We recommend the following items for the course:
- A set of oil painting brushes (student quality will be fine)
- A small container of Liquin Original (which is similar to Linseed oil),
- Artists White Spirit (please note regular DIY white spirit can damage brushes)
- A palette (although an old dinner plate can work)
- A set of oil paints including Titanium White, Ultramarine Blue, Cerulean Blue (optional), Cadmium Red, Permanent Rose (optional), Cadmium Yellow, Burnt Sienna, and Yellow Ochre.
- An Oil paper pad - ideally A3 size.
Who teaches this course?
Fancy a meal or drinks when visiting us for an event or a trip to the park? Our KILN Cafe serves breakfast, lunch, light bites and a light evening menu, see information here /// Please read our current Courses - Health and Safety Information and our current Visitor Guidelines before booking your course.