Free doorstep theatre show - performed outdoors in your garden! Watch from the comfort and safety of your home - for people aged 60+
As restrictions begin to lift, we need to find safe ways to reconnect with others. Local artist Jake Oldershaw (of Untied Artists) will be offering his short, COVID-19 secure interactive theatre show, free to anyone over 60 in June.
All Jake asks in exchange is that audience members share a few stories of their own with him after the show… And have a ground floor window with a bit of space in front where the performance can happen.
About the show
My Favourite Things will be approximately 10 - 15 minutes long and performed outdoors for audiences to watch from the comfort of their home.
After the show, Jake will spend a short time chatting with audience members, to give audience members a chance to share a story about one of their favourite things.
Jake will be in touch with audience members to ask them to find an object of significance they can talk about with him after the show, if they are happy to do so. For example - this could be an object with sentimental value, or something that holds a special memory.
Where will the shows take place
- The show will need to take place in an outdoor space close to an accessible ground floor window/door - it cannot be performed to audiences watching from a second floor/balcony.
- The window or door could be in a living room, kitchen window - or if in a care home or sheltered accommodation may be a window in a shared space.
- The show can be performed to care home or sheltered accommodation residents. Please get in touch with us for more details.
How it works
- Jake will perform outdoors (in the front or back garden, driveway, doorstep) and the audience member will remain indoors. We will provide audience members with a speaker to have near to hear music and some pre-recorded speech which is all part of the performance.
- We can also provide a tablet where audience members can read the text.
- If anyone interested in booking requires a BSL interpreter please let us know. Jake will be accompanied by a stage manager.
- Audiences will also be invited to MAC for a safe, future social get-together to share their stories and enjoy complimentary light refreshments, and can hear about more exciting events for over 60s at MAC.
How to book
- Performances take place on Sat 19 - Mon 21 June and Mon 28 June -Wed 30 June at various time slots - from 9.30am to 4.30pm.
- If you or someone you know is over the age of 60, perhaps feeling lonely, isolated, or just in need of something different to brighten up the day, please contact email@example.com by 19 June, to book this unique experience.
- My Favourite Things is an outdoor performance designed for audiences over the age of 60 and commissioned by MAC as part of their Celebrating Age programme.