TODO WIRE UP
About Botanical Silk Scarves using Eco Dyes
Explore eco dyeing and printing techniques to create a beautifully decorated silk scarf.
What will you learn on this course?
Eco dyeing and printing and wonderful experimental techniques which create beautiful soft greys and browns with clear images of foliage which can be transferred onto watercolour paper, cotton, wool, and silk. This is an experimental technique, and due to the unpredictability of plants, uniform results cannot be expected, but each print is entirely unique and results are always creative.
During this course, you will learn:
- Which tannin rich leaves produce the best results and how to prepare them
- How to decide which fabrics and papers to use
- How to prepare fabric and paper for printing
- The technique for wrapping and preparing the fabric bundle for the steamer
- The use of the iron blanket
- The use of mordants
- Dye baths
- What equipment is required if you decide to continue the process at home
- Health and Safety at all stages
Using your newly acquired skills from practical testing, handouts, and demonstrations, you will eco print a silk scarf to take home as a memento of the course.
Who is this course for?
This course is for adults aged 18+ years. It is open to beginners and improvers. It is suitable for people who are both completely new to textiles and those who wish to learn new approaches to design and develop their skills further.
The course may be accessible for people with disabilities who can participate in practical art and craft activities. Students can be accompanied by a carer or support worker. Carers must book a complimentary ticket if attending a course to provide support. The room is wheelchair accessible. Please contact us to discuss your specific situation and needs.
Do you need to bring anything?
Sample fabrics, papers, silk scarf, and thin protective gloves are all supplied for you.
- An apron and wear old clothes
- Rubber gloves
- A notebook and a pen to record your findings
- A phone or a camera to take photographs
- Two plastic bags to take your wet items home in
Are there any additional costs?
There are no additional costs
Who teaches this course?