We’re here to help people connect to art. The trusted relationship we’ve built over the years with all those we work with and provide services for is at the heart of what we do. In short, we don’t want to do anything to jeopardise that trust.
MAC is a charity and a business limited by guarantee and holds personal data for staff, artists, customer and contractors. MAC’s policies and procedures are inline with both the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Privacy of Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR).
This policy explains how we collect your personal data, what we do with it and how we keep it securely. For ease of reading we’ve split the policy into distinct areas:
- Why does MAC collect data?
- What data does MAC hold?
- How is data collected?
- How do we store your data and who can see it?
- Your rights regarding your data
- How to update your data or preferences
Why does MAC collect data?
There’s an operational need to be able to collect personal data:
- To contact or identify bookers to pass on vital information e.g. a course is cancelled or roadworks in the area;
- from prospective employees to recruit to role within the organisation; and
- from employees and contractors to pay, employ, develop and maintain a professional relationship
- to seek donations to enable us to provide art for everyone, keep our prices accessible and undertake updates to our building. Find out more about how we raise funds and our fundraising promise to you here.
We’re a charity with very tight financial resources. As an arts centre, we want to spend most of it on making art. By developing a better understanding of our users through their personal data MAC can make better decisions, market our products, fundraise more efficiently and, ultimately, ensure we reach our goal of making sure people of all backgrounds can access an excellent arts provision.
What data does MAC hold?
- Contact details
- Date of birth
- Your booking and/or donation history with us*
- Any other information you share with us as part of your interaction with MAC (e.g. access needs, dietary requirements)
- We keep a record of the mailings and emails we send you, and we may track whether you receive or open them so we can make sure we are sending you the most relevant information. We may then track any subsequent actions online, such as buying a ticket
Sometimes we ask you to provide sensitive information, for example when you book for certain events or participate in some activities, or when you apply for a job. As with all the personal information we hold, sensitive information is held securely and restricted to those who need to use it. We will delete sensitive information when we no longer need it.
*We maintain a record of your transaction history, but we never store your card number (although we may keep a note of the last four digits to help us identify transactions)
How is data collected?
- At the point of sale for tickets, room bookings etc
- When you voluntarily take part in a survey and give us permission to use your information
- When you apply for a job at MAC (we hold the application for six months before destroying it for unsuccessful candidates)
- When employed or contracted by MAC
- When you make a donation
- When you join a mailing list
- If you are a business contact
Depending on your settings or the privacy policies for social media and messaging services like Facebook or Twitter, you might give us permission to access information from those accounts or services.
When you use our website or Wi-Fi
In addition, the type of device you’re using to access our website and the settings on that device may provide us with information about your device, including what type of device it is, what specific device you have, what operating system you’re using, what your device settings are, and why a crash has happened. Your device manufacturer or operating system provider will have more details about what information your device makes available to us.
Information available publicly
This may include information found in places such as Companies House, your biography on your work website or information that has been published in articles/ newspapers
Children and vulnerable individuals
We also hold safeguarding information on children, young people and vulnerable adults to ensure we are able to protect them and best meet our statutory obligations. This is held securely and access to this information is further limited.
How do we store your data and who can see it?
All data is stored on a password protected computerised system which is compliant with highest levels of digital and physical security. We use a ticketing system called Spektrix to store all of our data relating to sales, marketing and certain fundraising activities.
Access to this data is only granted to personnel who have been trained on best practice in data handling and related legislation.
Your rights regarding your data
You have the following rights related to your personal data:
- The right to request a copy of personal information held about you
- The right to request that inaccuracies be corrected
- The right to request us to stop processing your personal data in certain circumstances
- The right to withdraw consent
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office or Fundraising Regulator
If you want to access your information, send a description of the information you want to see and proof of your identity by post to MAC. We do not accept these requests by email so we can ensure that we only provide personal data to the right person.
How to update your data or preferences
We really appreciate it if you let us know if your contact details change or have any discrepancies.
To do this, please contact our customer service team either in person, by calling 0121 446 3232 or by emailing [email protected].
Midlands Arts Centre, Cannon Hill Park, Birmingham, B12 9QH
Registered company no. 718349 Registered charity no. 528979